Monday, June 27, 2011

TODAY - Psalm 118:24

I am continually amazed at how God works in our lives. Sure, I had seen it before in my own life as well as those of my friends, but it often seemed distant. It took some time to experience it, or it was someone else's experience, and as such, I couldn't quite grasp it on many occasions. But I think today has given me a sense of how God truly works in our lives, and how very real Romans 8:28 is. This verse continues to come to fruition as the trip goes on for me, and today was no different. God works in big ways for our sisters.

But first, since we failed to write yesterday (Sunday), let's begin there briefly. It was a pretty good day. We had some great presentations in Staten Island and the Bronx. Cool opportunities came from both. Over 100 women were helped from the church in Staten Island; I was also given a mug, a keychain, a water bottle filled with candy, and a new pocket-sized Bible on the occasion of my graduation from Pastor Dave. From the Bronx, Gordon and Jon got the chance to be on a radio broadcast this morning (Monday) to get out the word about our sisters. The show gets broadcast nationwide in syndication and all over the world as well. What a great chance to share about our sisters! We had a delicious Thai dinner.

So let's start with Monday's events. It starts at 3:45AM - my alarm goes off. It's a rude awakening. Mark, Andy, and I are at Matt from ABS's home in Weehawken, NJ - a town name I really just enjoy saying. Matt drives us into the city at 4:30, no traffic in sight; we arrive at the Bible House shortly thereafter. Eight of us - Lewie, Andy, Mark, Marianne, Jenna, Emily, Shannon, and I - hail some cabs to get to Rockefeller Center, embarking on our quest to get on the Today Show; Jon and Gordon were sadly not with us, although they had their great chance to share on the radio show described previously. As we arrive at 5:30ish with the posters Jon, Lewie, and Jenna had made, we are one of the first in line. Emily and I find some breakfast at Dunkin Donuts, continuing our tradition of getting lost trying to find something. So the show starts at 7. We're having a blast. During the first hour, we get to interact with some producers and William, the photographer who wanted to learn how to say "You are beautiful" in 50 languages. One producer thought we were crazy, and we also got to talk to Willie and Al during the first hour. Shortly after 8, Al came back out onto the plaza and they set up the cameras right in front of us. Needless to say, he stuck a microphone in Marianne's face, asking her about why were there. She did a great job of telling America about the Bike Tour and She's My Sister.

We had talked to two out of the three hosts, so we now set before ourselves the task of getting to talk to Ann Curry about our bike ride and our sisters. We knew that she is passionate about the Congo and east Africa, and, as we got to talk to her around 9:30, she told us first hand about her experience reporting on the area and her love for our sisters. We gave her a card, along with Willie earlier. So we hope and pray that both of you are reading this.

Our trip to the Today Show was a success, but not because of anything we did. God really had a hand in everything. We would have never thought it possible to get ten seconds on TV, but we did. So thanks to Jesus, Al, Ann, and Willie for giving us the chance to tell the world about our sisters.

This was all before 10AM.

Returning from the Today Show, Mark, Andy, Lewie, and I met a homeless man a block from the Bible House. I think his name was Brett, but I'm not sure; his friends call him Gesus (with a 'G') because he has long hair and a beard. We got him some Starbucks and started talking to him about what he believes. We gave him a Bible, and prayed for him and the world. We ask that you keep him in your prayers, too.

So...11:30 rolls around. Time to meet the ABS NY office. We gave a presentation, shared in worship, and had some fellowship with them over a delicious lunch. They were an encouragement to us, and us to them also. It was a pleasure getting to meet them, to show them our love for our sisters, and to encourage them to become more involved with She's My Sister.

Afterwards, the mad dash to leave NYC began. We arrived in White Plains, NY, our beginning place for riding after the city. Our destination: New Canaan, CT. But the day could not go without some troubles. Big Bertha finally experienced what all the bicycles have experienced on a daily basis: a flat tire! After a long debacle, which ended with Gordon very slowly driving her to our destination, we finally got to New Canaan late to meet with the Young Life staff here and some students involved in their ministry. We had a great dinner at the Bakes' home, where we got to share about our sisters and hear about how the students there are on their way to college. A great night, very relaxing, and some fabulous dining!

We deemed today's word of the day in honor of Al Roker: Lincoln. It's his middle name, a little factoid that a producer told us as she inquired about our green jerseys.

It's now time for bed. The day started at 3:45 for some of us. Now, at 12:45, it must come to an end. We have a 20 mile day tomorrow. Can you say sleeping in?!?!

One last thing. I know I have practically written a novel, but I can't help but go back to the Word. Ps 118 is one of David's psalm's of praise. V. 24 is pertinent today, but I feel the whole psalm is relevant to our trip. We rejoice today because of Christ's death, and all that comes as a result of it. I encourage all of you to take the time to read it below, and meditate on the things that you can give thanks and rejoice for today!

Eis agape,
BMD

Psalm 118

1Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.

2Let Israel say:
“His love endures forever.”

3Let the house of Aaron say:
“His love endures forever.”

4Let those who fear the LORD say:
“His love endures forever.”

5In my anguish I cried to the LORD,
and he answered by setting me free.

6The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?

7The LORD is with me; he is my helper.
I will look in triumph on my enemies.

8It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in man.

9It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in princes.

10All the nations surrounded me,
but in the name of the LORD I cut them off.

11They surrounded me on every side,
but in the name of the LORD I cut them off.

12They swarmed around me like bees,
but they died out as quickly as burning thorns;
in the name of the LORD I cut them off.

13I was pushed back and about to fall,
but the LORD helped me.

14The LORD is my strength and my song;
he has become my salvation.

15Shouts of joy and victory
resound in the tents of the righteous:
“The LORD’s right hand has done mighty things!

16The LORD’s right hand is lifted high;
the LORD’s right hand has done mighty things!”

17I will not die but live,
and will proclaim what the LORD has done.

18The LORD has chastened me severely,
but he has not given me over to death.

19Open for me the gates of righteousness;
I will enter and give thanks to the LORD.

20This is the gate of the LORD
through which the righteous may enter.

21I will give you thanks, for you answered me;
you have become my salvation.

22The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone;

23the LORD has done this,
and it is marvelous in our eyes.

24This is the day the LORD has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.

25O LORD, save us;
O LORD, grant us success.

26Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD.
From the house of the LORD we bless you.

27The LORD is God,
and he has made his light shine upon us.
With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession
up to the horns of the altar.

28You are my God, and I will give you thanks;
you are my God, and I will exalt you.

29Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
his love endures forever.

3 comments:

  1. What an exciting time. Thanks for covering so many details. You are amazing. Keep em straight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is outstanding! I took a picture of the team and Ann at the Today Show on Monday and would love to send it to the group. Could I have someone's e-mail address to do so?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could send it to sister.bike.tour.2011@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete